Wednesday 10 December 2014

Christmas crafting: A pretty thing from tree debris

This is the first year I have ever had a real christmas tree. I can't say I was prepared for the process of hacking bits off and sawing all sorts of things (or bread knifing them, as I did) before the you can even put the thing up. However, a happy side effect of all the blunt-knife-hacking that I undertook last night was several lush green tree off cuts.


Using these otherwise wasted bits and a couple of cute ornaments I got free from a christmas magazine, I made a sweet little decoration for my front door. It was really simple- I laid the of cuts on a worktop and arranged them into a pretty shape, using some jewellery wire to fasten them in place. I then strung the ornaments onto the branches just as I did on the tree, and used a little more wire to hold them on when it was all hung vertically. To finish off the aesthetic elements, I salvaged a bit of old Christmas rope from the decorations box and wound it round a few times to cover the wire holding the twigs together. I then tied it in a simple bow.


And done! To hang the decoration on the door, I wound a last piece of wire around the top leaving plenty loose at the top. This was then doubled over and fastened at the base to create a loop for hanging. Mine looks really cute hung on my front door, but I've had to rescue it for the night from the gale force winds we're currently experiencing! 

Have any of you guys come up with any interesting ways to use up tree debris?

Laura xo 


No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com